Wednesday, July 27, 2011

My Two Cents

Hype. What is it? Hype is what occurs, when a shoe is gassed up to astronomical levels for no apparent reason. Shoe companies use this hype and hysterical to inflate the value of shoes, and we all eat it up. Take for example, last year's Cool Grey XI release. By no means am I saying that these are not a classic shoe and colorway, but, because of the hype surrounding it there were riots and robberies all over the country for these shoes.   For Shoes!!! Now, I love my kicks, don't get me wrong, but, there has to be some kind of sense applied when it comes to these over hyped releases. A pair of sneakers are never worth any one's life or safety, nor should they be so inflated that re-sellers charge more than 4 times the box price. I found this cool video done by another great sneaker vlogger regarding hype. In this video, @STreeTTaTe compares two Air Jordan VII releases from this year. He provides a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

As I said in the previous post, there is one major benefit to the lack of hype on any given shoe. The less the hype, the better your chances of getting the shoes on sale and with much less hassle. So I guess, it can work both ways. The only way to combat hype is to buy what YOU like, regardless of what anyone else thinks of it. Cause when it comes down to it, you will be the one paying for it and the one wearing it, the naysayers will never help you do either of those things.

1 comment:

  1. I like the article! Yeezy 2's = Hype. If it's a good looking shoe, I'm camping. Jerry

    ReplyDelete